Friday, January 30, 2009

The High Cost of Red Wine



I like to drink. Although I have at times had too much to drink I have never had a problem with drinking. However, the idea that I was encouraged not to drink any alcohol for 12 weeks was not a pleasant one for me. I decided that perhaps this feeling was an indication of an unhealthy attachment and decided not to drink for a while. I had not had a drink since the program started...until last night. I decided to pick up a bottle of wine and treat myself to one glass. I even made my friend promise he would take the bottle home with him so I would not be tempted to drink more. However, the glass I poured myself was a bit fuller than it needed to be although the second glass was not nearly as full. So I had two glasses instead of the one and I have to tell you I was a bit drunk. Not only that but I woke up in the middle of the night to be sick. I have never in my life been this affected by so little alcohol. I woke up this morning feeling like I had been the life of the party at a kegger instead of just drinking two glasses of wine and going to bed by 11. It is a lesson to all of us that our bodies are changing. We are purifying ourselves from these toxins, whether it be unhealthy food or alcohol, and reintroducing these toxins can reek havoc on your body. I felt like crap all day. I’m not beating myself up about it but I also don’t plan on doing it again anytime soon. I never thought something I once enjoyed so much could seem so unappealing.


7 comments:

  1. Wow Sam what a testimony! Who knew our habits could actually change?! Hope you're feeling fully re-hydrated and hangover-free today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok and the fitness tip of the day cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of you who read this after today I have to repost the fitness tip for today because, as jen noted, it is indeed pretty funny: "Choose your treadmill wisely. Studies show women perform better at the gym when exercising next to unfit women." Now that is advice that will change your life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, bless your poor aching head and bless you for sharing your experience. We all need to be reminded of these things and your reminder was a perfect way for me to start a new week after a not-so-stellar 2nd week.

    How is your ankle, your non-alcohol-induced boo-boo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll drink (green tea) to that! Amazing these lessons in awareness. I'm missing my pino noir too! Thanks for sharing. -- Rad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam,
    Right with you! I had a glass of my favorite red this weekend. It didn't taste great, and I surprisingly didn't want more ... so glad we are in this together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, who knew our bodies would have a say! I still love wine, but really have decreased my consumption having been on the past program.

    Did you use arnica gel on your ankle? I find it helps with all kinds of sports injuries and gets rid of bruises and sprains pretty fast.

    Don't you notice that being on the program makes you get acquainted with your body again? Mine thought it was running on auto pilot forever! It was nice to become one again.

    Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers