Because of the ankle I still have not been able to start the workout portion of the program. I thought I might be able to do at least some of the strength exercises but I can’t stand up for too long and if I got down on the floor I probably wouldn’t be able to get up. This has turned out to be a blessing in disguise because it has allowed me to focus entirely on the nutrition portion of the program for the last two days. The most challenging part for me is actually getting enough calories. As a vegan many of the whole foods I eat do not contain that many calories. I have to be careful when planning my meals to get enough calories and protein during the day. The problem I have found with the program is that the increased protein intake keeps me full for longer and I don’t feel the urge to eat as often. By 6:00p.m. yesterday I had only had a little over 1,000 calories but I wasn’t hungry. I ended up eating after seven because I figured getting the calories in trumped the rule about not eating late in the day. Even after that I was still over 200 calories shy of my goal for the day. I don’t want to eat when I am not truly hunger but I know that my body can’t survive on so few calories. However, I must also assume that once I start doing the cardio and strength workouts my body will be using more fuel and I will feel the need to eat more often.
This is also a good lesson to those who feel they must deprive themselves of food to meet the caloric requirements of the program. My food yesterday consisted of three delicious meals. For example for lunch I had a tofu curry sandwich with tomato, sprouts, and cucumber as well as a chickpea salad with roasted mushrooms! For dinner I had a vegetable soup with brown rice and a potato. This is coming from someone who didn’t even hit 1,400 calories yesterday! For those of you who are used to eating more processed diets this is going to be a big change for you but it is not a change that has to limit you. Fruits and vegetables are delicious if cooked well and contain a minimum amount of calories so branch out and eat up!

You go, Sam! You sound so positive and that can only help you heal faster! I love what you said about food - I am really trying not to feel deprived, but actually more fulfilled with my food choices - yours really do sound delicious!
ReplyDeleteHang in there! When I did the project the first time around; I had been diagnosed with Excema. I had this awful poison ivy, rash like itchy stuff all over the backs of my legs and one arm. Remember we started in the summer. Heat and sweat made the itching worse and the healing slow. I had to stop doing some of the exercise portion until I got that under control. You too will heal soon enough to jump into the exercise. It sounds like you have a grip on the food part which will make picking up the exercise less stressful than trying to do it all. Rest up! Christine
ReplyDeleteI want to eat at your house. Sounds delish
ReplyDelete